Skip to main content

1 Quarter Down, 7 to Go!

What I Learned My 1st Quarter in DU's MBA Program:

1. The Essence of Enterprise

My key takeaway of this class is Awareness. When I say, awareness I mean self awareness, as well as, awareness of what is going around the world. I learned about myself, my values, who I am, and who I want to be. Most of the time, I live in my own little bubble. I don't think much about the rest of the world. However, in class we were forced to think outside the box. Therefore, I also learned about what is going on in the world with poverty, globablization, and sustainability. Some other key words are color energies, SLOT, team building, leadership, critical thinking, compass, MICEE, professionalism, oxford engagements, grand rounds, systems thinking, synergy, capitalism, democracy, triple bottom line, whistle-blowing, BOP, biomimicry, amongst others.

Sustainability - If you didn't already know it, our world is being depleted of unrenewable resources. People can't keep living the way they are living at status quo. But don't worry too much, all in all, another world is possible. Each and everyone of us has the power to change it. Respect yourself, respect others, respect the world, and be useful.
  • As Peter Senge says: Our future lies in building sustainable enterprises and economic reality that connects individuals, society, and the environment.
  • If you are looking for something you can do as an individual, it would be recycle! A little simple change in your daily life.
Public Policy - If you haven't already seen it, watch I.O.U.S.A. The Movie (click the link to see the 3o min version. It is an eye-opener. USA (especially Gen X, Gen Y, & Millenials) is in trouble, no more social security benefits for us when we retire!
  • As Warren Buffet says: Short-term actions have long-term consequences.
  • If you are looking for something you can do as an individual, it would be open a savings account and keep adding to it! Again a small easy change.

Budget Deficit
+ Savings Deficit
+ Trade Deficit
+ Leadership Deficit
= $8.7 tril Federal Debt (67% GDP)


2. Financial Accounting

Not a single thing, j/k. I now have a general understanding of assets, liabilities, stockholders' equity, financial ratios, and how to read and analyze financial statements and annual reports. Yup, that's all I can say about that!

Assets = Liabilities + Stockholders' Equity -> Rev - Exp = NI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

Eating My Way Thru NOLA - Day 3

NOLA  - October 2018 PJ's Coffee  (5432 Magazine St, New Orleans LA 70115) - Goal was The King Cake Protein Velvet Ice but apparently that was only seasonal around Mardi Gras. So I got a PJ's Original Cold Brew Iced Coffee instead. A chain but good stuff. Royal House (441 Royal St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Crawfish Benedict with a side of grits was very tasty. Parran’s Po-Boys & Restaurant (3939 Veterans Blvd, Metairie LA 70002) - Seafood Trifecta (1/3 fried shrimp sandwich, 1/3 fried oyster sandwich, 1/3 fried catfish sandwich *best*) dressed (mayo, lettuce, tomato). Chilly's Snoballs (3940 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie LA 70006) - Sampled a few and then ordered 8oz Douberge and 8oz Wedding Cake from the drive-thru. Toups Meatery (845 N Carrollton Ave, New Orleans LA 70119) - Boudin Balls to go Mother's Restaurant (401 Poydras St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Ham, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice Other snacks ...

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?