Skip to main content

349th New Thing - Watched a Presidential Debate


I didn't have time to post the last night, therefore I'm posting this late as this occurred 3 days ago (Wed 10/3/12).
The 2012 Presidential Debate series began on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 7pm at Magness Arena on the University of Denver's campus. The topic was Domestic Policy and was the 1st of 4 debates scheduled, moderated by Jim Lehrer host of "NewsHour" on PBS, and lasted 90 minutes. Since I am alumni, I had the chance to watch the debate on the campus green on a big screen TV, but decided to watch from the luxury of my apartment since it was cold and windy outside. The segments focused on the economy health care, the role of government, and governing.

According to CNN, here are the 5 things we learned from the Presidential Debate:
  1. Romney wins by setting the tone
  2. Romney holds his own
  3. Missed opportunities - Obama didn't challenge Romney on the infamous 47% remark in an attempt to paint the former Massachusetts governor as a cold-hearted patrician with little empathy for the middle class and poor.
  4. Body language matters - when speaking, Romney often looked directly at Obama, while the president mainly looked at the moderator or the cameras when speaking, and Obama looked down quite often while Romney was speaking.
  5. Chris Christie vindicated
According to KPBS, here are 5 takeaways from the 1st Presidential Debate:
  1. Obama Looked Tired And Sounded Defensive
  2. Romney Grasped The Mantle Of Bipartisanship
  3. You're A Drinking Game Winner If You're Middle Class
  4. When Candidates Have The Microphone, They'll Keep Talking
  5. Democrats Will Want To Retool For Future Debates
Early polling, including instant-reaction surveys conducted by CNN and CBS News, suggested Romney won the first debate. In a CBS poll of undecided voters, 46 percent gave Romney the victory, 22 percent for Obama and 32 percent called it a draw.
What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

158th New Thing - Tried Sweet Potato Popchips

While we were at Albertsons doing our weekly grocery shopping, there was a lady there giving away free sample bags of Popchips so I took a sample of their Sweet Potato flavor. I had my 0.8 ox bag of Sweet Potato Popchips today with my lunch. Popchips were founded in 2007 in San Francisco as a healthy alternative to traditional potato chips. They aren't fried or baked, but popped by taking potatoes and adding a heat and pressure. They have won awards such as 'Best Snack' from Shape Magazine and 'Best Chips' from Health Magazine. My 0.8 oz bag had 100 calories, 3g fat, 95mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, and 2g sugar. They had a slightly salted and sweet flavor in the airy chip. It was a good snack with my lunch.   What did you do today?  

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?