Skip to main content

25th New Thing – Watched 20/20

I decided to watch a show that I've never watched before. I've never watched 20/20 even though I used to see the Barbara Walters commercials all the time. 20/20 is a television newsmagazine that has run on ABC since 1978, with around 5 million viewers per week.

I chose to watch Episode 66, Lessons from Billionaires, that originally aired on October 28, 2011. Segment 1 was about Guy Laliberté, worth $2.5 billion, who founded Cirque du Soleil in 1984. He is originally from Canada and started out as a street performer himself. I believe there have been 29 unique shows thus far. Segment 2 was about Lynn Tilton, who is the sole principal of Patriarch Partners, LLC which manages 75 companies that generate $8 billion per year in revenue. She is originally from Teaneck NJ. She buys companies in jeopardy, restructures them, and finding new ways to make them profitable. Her advice to young entrepreneurs is "success comes from following your passion."

Segment 3 was about John Paul Jones DeJoria who co-founded John Paul Mitchell Systems in 1980 and co-founded Patrón Spirits Company in 1989. $4.2 billion fortune. He is originally from East Los Angeles and was homeless at one point in his life. His philanthropy is "success unshared is failure."  Segment 4 was about Tony Hsieh, CEO of  Zappos, a $1.2 billion powerhouse. The corporate culture there is to create fun and a little weirdness, where he has his own cubicle in the middle. He is originally from California with Taiwanese parents. He co-founded LinkExchange and sold it to Microsoft for $265 million in 1999. He also wrote a book, Delivering Happiness, in June 2010. His philosophy is "your happiness isn't based on external factors." Segment 4 was about the Haves and Have Nots. In 1985 there were only 15 billionaires. Today there are more than 400 billionaires. The rich are getting richer. Some of their purchases include big yachts, jewelry, sports teams, mansions, and art.  

What did all 4 people have in common? 
  1. They followed their passions.
  2. They were not afraid to fail (and all did).
  3. They tried to give back in gratitude for all their successes.

What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

Eating My Way Thru NOLA - Day 3

NOLA  - October 2018 PJ's Coffee  (5432 Magazine St, New Orleans LA 70115) - Goal was The King Cake Protein Velvet Ice but apparently that was only seasonal around Mardi Gras. So I got a PJ's Original Cold Brew Iced Coffee instead. A chain but good stuff. Royal House (441 Royal St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Crawfish Benedict with a side of grits was very tasty. Parran’s Po-Boys & Restaurant (3939 Veterans Blvd, Metairie LA 70002) - Seafood Trifecta (1/3 fried shrimp sandwich, 1/3 fried oyster sandwich, 1/3 fried catfish sandwich *best*) dressed (mayo, lettuce, tomato). Chilly's Snoballs (3940 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie LA 70006) - Sampled a few and then ordered 8oz Douberge and 8oz Wedding Cake from the drive-thru. Toups Meatery (845 N Carrollton Ave, New Orleans LA 70119) - Boudin Balls to go Mother's Restaurant (401 Poydras St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Ham, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice Other snacks ...

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?