Skip to main content

26th New Thing – Ate at Café 180

I went out to lunch with my co-worker today. We went to Café 180 in Englewood, CO. This is a unique eatery in the aspect that is lets you pay whatever you want for your food. If you can't pay, you can give 1 hour of service for food. They say "Give and Take. Pay it Forward. Support your Community." Their ingredients are fresh and mostly organic. I had a half Apple Walnut Salad, a half Turkey Bacon Spinach Wrap, and small Diet Coke so I donated $8.00. They also said I could have a complimentary cookie so I choose a Rocky Road Cookie. All the food was delicious.

Jon Bon Jovi also has a new restaurant, Soul Kitchen, in Red Bank NJ that is a similar concept that opened on October 19, 2011. They serve healthy, organic meals without prices on the menu. $10 is the minimum donation for a 3-course meal that includes a drink and dessert. If a customer can't pay, they can volunteer in some way to earn a voucher for a meal.

Panera Bread also has experimented with this concept with Panera Cares. The 1st opened around May 2010 in Clayton MO. I believe the 2nd was in Dearborn MI and 3rd was in Portland OR. Cash registers have been replaced by donation boxes. Customers can still place orders for fresh soup, sandwiches and salads with suggested donation amounts. Panera Cares suggests that those who can’t pay could also volunteer to work at the store for an hour or so to earn their meal.

What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

158th New Thing - Tried Sweet Potato Popchips

While we were at Albertsons doing our weekly grocery shopping, there was a lady there giving away free sample bags of Popchips so I took a sample of their Sweet Potato flavor. I had my 0.8 ox bag of Sweet Potato Popchips today with my lunch. Popchips were founded in 2007 in San Francisco as a healthy alternative to traditional potato chips. They aren't fried or baked, but popped by taking potatoes and adding a heat and pressure. They have won awards such as 'Best Snack' from Shape Magazine and 'Best Chips' from Health Magazine. My 0.8 oz bag had 100 calories, 3g fat, 95mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, and 2g sugar. They had a slightly salted and sweet flavor in the airy chip. It was a good snack with my lunch.   What did you do today?  

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?