Skip to main content

32nd New Thing – Took Apart My Cell Phone

If you haven’t already heard me complain about how my cell phone broke, you are going to now. Last Tuesday 11/15/11, I was heading out to work. As I got in my car, my LG Ally (covered with a rubber protective case) slipped out of my bag and drop to the ground (about 2 feet). I did not realize it fell out so I drove away. A couple minutes later, I realized I did not have my cell phone with me so I went back to my apartment to look for it. It wasn't inside so I retraced my steps. It was still sitting in my parking spot without a scratch on it. What a relief I thought to myself.  There was a green light blinking on it, signifying I had a message. However, when I tried to turn it on it did not come on. I then realized the phone worked but the screen did not. I went to the Verizon Wireless Store after work and then informed me the LCD screen was shot and it was $90 for a new part + labor. I could also buy a new phone for $400+ or use an old phone until my contract was up February 15 2012.

I decided to use my old Palm Centro for the time being and see if anyone had an Android cell phone I could borrow for a few months. I also decided I would try to take it apart and fix it myself (I do not recommend doing this). There are step-by-step instructions on how to take it apart to fix the LCD screen.

http://www.android.net/forum/lg-ally-tutorials-faqs/65695-how-replace-your-digitizer-lg-ally.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_12140892_replace-capacitive-digitizer-screen-lg-ally.html

However, I ran into a problem in step 1. I did not have a small enough philips screwdriver. I figured the IT department at work would have this type of tool so I borrowed 1 today. Then my 2nd problem occurred. A screw was in so tight that I was stripping it. I removed 5 out of 6 screws then just started pulling at it. I unscrewed another 6 screws. I took off the casing and the keyboard. Not much to see or do so I put it back together. I’d like to say I magically fixed the darn thing but it is still broken and probably broken more so than before I started messing with it.

What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

Eating My Way Thru NOLA - Day 3

NOLA  - October 2018 PJ's Coffee  (5432 Magazine St, New Orleans LA 70115) - Goal was The King Cake Protein Velvet Ice but apparently that was only seasonal around Mardi Gras. So I got a PJ's Original Cold Brew Iced Coffee instead. A chain but good stuff. Royal House (441 Royal St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Crawfish Benedict with a side of grits was very tasty. Parran’s Po-Boys & Restaurant (3939 Veterans Blvd, Metairie LA 70002) - Seafood Trifecta (1/3 fried shrimp sandwich, 1/3 fried oyster sandwich, 1/3 fried catfish sandwich *best*) dressed (mayo, lettuce, tomato). Chilly's Snoballs (3940 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie LA 70006) - Sampled a few and then ordered 8oz Douberge and 8oz Wedding Cake from the drive-thru. Toups Meatery (845 N Carrollton Ave, New Orleans LA 70119) - Boudin Balls to go Mother's Restaurant (401 Poydras St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Ham, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice Other snacks ...

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?