Skip to main content

199th New Thing - Watched The Pitch


I watched the documentary/reality-TV style new series on AMC called The Pitch today. AMC's new original series offers viewers a never-before-seen glimpse inside America’s top ad agencies. Each week 2 agencies compete to win a new client by going head-to-head in a winner-takes-all showdown. They only get 7 days to prepare, so there is whining, brainstorming, and blue-sky thinking, as the teams work around the clock and pray for the moment of inspiration that will win them the job to keep their companies alive. IMDB gave it a 4.3 out of 10 and I probably give it an 5.3 rating so far after seeing 1 episode.

Episode 101 featured the sandwich franchise, Subway, looking for a new advertising campaign for breakfast. CMO (Chief Marketing Officer), Tony Pace, wants the campaign to convince 18-24-year-olds to eat breakfast at Subway. The 2 rival ad agencies pitching to for the project are McKinney and WDCW. McKinney is a medium-sized agency based in Durham NC. CCO (Chief Creative Officer), Jonathan Crude, and GCD (Group Creative Director), Liz Paradise, invited 2 pairs of young copywriters to come up with separate concepts but chose a music video (“Freestyle Breakfast”) starring Mac Lethal, a rapper who’s gone viral on YouTube. WDCW (Wong, Doody, Crandall, Wiener) is an Los Angeles CA agency that previously worked on Quiznos. Founding Partner Tracy Wong's concept centers on “zAMbies,” lifeless breakfast zombies that eat bland fast food because they’re unaware of the flavorful options from Subway. The 2 teams pitched to Subway and McKinney won with their "Freestyle Breakfast" rap. I would have chose the rap as well.

What did you do today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

158th New Thing - Tried Sweet Potato Popchips

While we were at Albertsons doing our weekly grocery shopping, there was a lady there giving away free sample bags of Popchips so I took a sample of their Sweet Potato flavor. I had my 0.8 ox bag of Sweet Potato Popchips today with my lunch. Popchips were founded in 2007 in San Francisco as a healthy alternative to traditional potato chips. They aren't fried or baked, but popped by taking potatoes and adding a heat and pressure. They have won awards such as 'Best Snack' from Shape Magazine and 'Best Chips' from Health Magazine. My 0.8 oz bag had 100 calories, 3g fat, 95mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, and 2g sugar. They had a slightly salted and sweet flavor in the airy chip. It was a good snack with my lunch.   What did you do today?  

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?