Skip to main content

206th New Thing - Signed Up for a Marathon

I didn't have time to post last night, therefore I'm posting this late as this occurred yesterday (Sun 5/13/12).

I enjoy a nice run outside about once a week. It is nice to get fresh air, sunlight, and enjoy nature. I also enjoy running in races. I've ran in multiple 5ks, a few 10ks, and 2 21ks (1/2 marathons). The next step is the marathon. A marathon is is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometers (26 miles and 385 yards), that is usually run as a road race. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon (the namesake of the race) to Athens. The marathon was one of the original modern Olympic events in 1896, though the distance did not become standardized until 1921. More than 500 marathons are held throughout the world each year, with the vast majority of competitors being recreational athletes. Larger marathons can have 10s of 1,000s of participants.
My company sponsors the Denver Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series. Therefore, I am able to run in the race for free, thus saving me on the $95 entry fee. I signed up for the marathon online last night. This marathon takes place downtown Denver on September 22, 2012 starting at 6:55am. The course is lined with live bands, cheerleaders, and themed water stations across the route. It is a relatively flat course but takes place at 5,280 feet above sea level. There are approximately 17,000 participants of this race so is a wave start. By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the 1st step right to the finish line. There are also small monetary prizes of that can be won (which I will never see). The Top 3 Men & Women can win $1,000 for 1st place, $500 2nd place, and $250 3rd place. This marathon benefits the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

I know signing up for a marathon isn't really an exciting 'new thing' to do, but it is to me. It means I made a commitment. I'm committed to training 18 weeks for the race. I start training next week (3 mile run on Tues, Wed, Thurs, and a 6 mile run on Sat). Recreational runners commonly try to reach a maximum of about 20 miles (3 weeks prior to race day) in their longest weekly run and a total of about 40 miles a week when training for the marathon, but wide variability exists in practice and in recommendations.


What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions

1. To get a job I will be able to apply my expertise and grow within the company. 2. To learn as much as possible in my classes at DU and earn A+s. 3. To workout and push myself a little harder. 4. To be a better friend and family member. 5. Be more positive and spiritual. 6. To live each day to its fullest!

111th New Thing - Took a Zyrtec

If you recall, I went to the dermatologist to get a skin screening for the 1st time back in December. When I was there, the doctor did a biopsy of 1 of the moles on my back (which came back as normal, by the way). The area was healing pretty well until about 2 weeks ago. The area around the wound started getting bigger instead of smaller and oozing. Therefore, I went back to my doctor to check it out. She said I was having an allergic reaction to something, probably the Neosporin . She gave me some new ointment, Vanos , and said I should take Zyrtec until the area starts to get better. Vanos (fluocinonide) Cream is indicated for the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid responsive dermatoses in patients. Best results are seen if used twice per day. Zyrtec (cetirizine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. Zyrtec can be u

Eating My Way Thru NE Day 2 - MA

Massachusetts  Atlantic Cod & Onion Rings from Liam's at Nauset Beach  (239 Beach Rd, Orleans MA 02653) - also worth the wait to eat a basket right on the beach Clam Chowder from  Captain Parker’s Pub (668 Rt 28, West Yarmouth MA 02673) - best chowdah evah, so creamy and fresh Coffee Coolatta (Oreo) from the 1st Dunkin' Donuts (543 Southern Artery, Quincy MA 02169) - where it all began, Oreo was a great sweet pick-me-up on the drive Crab Roll from Kelly’s Roast Beef  (35 Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford MA) - delicious, all the rolls looked great but we went with crab since we already had clam that day Necco  Sky Bar  from a convenience store - this was just ok, I've had way better chocolate bars and candy (I have Swiss ties), peanut and fudge were probably the better 2 of the 4