Skip to main content

260th New Thing - Watched Moneyball







I didn't have time to post last night, therefore I'm posting this a day late as this occurred yesterday (Fri 7/6/12).

We watched a movie entitled Moneyball with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and
Robin Wright, that came out on September 23, 2011. It is a biographical sports drama film that is based on Michael Lewis's 2003 book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, an account of the Oakland Athletics baseball team's 2002 season and their general manager Billy Beane's (would-be baseball superstar) attempts to assemble a competitive team. Heading into the 2002 season, Beane faces a situation where his small-market Oakland A's have lost their 3 star players to big market clubs (and their enormous salaries) and is left to rebuild his team and compete with a 3rd of their payroll. Beane takes on the system by challenging the fundamental tenants of the game. He looks outside of baseball, to the dismissed theories of Bill James, and hires Peter Brand, a brainy, number-crunching, Yale-educated economist. Together they take on conventional wisdom with a willingness to reexamine everything and armed with computer driven statistical analysis long ignored by the baseball establishment. They go after players overlooked and dismissed by the rest of baseball for being too odd, too old, too injured or too much trouble, but who all have key skills that are undervalued. Ultimately this experiment will lead not only to a change in the way the game is played, but to an outcome that would leave Billy with a new understanding that transcends the game and delivers him to a new place. They lost most of the games in the beginning of the season. I thought it was amazing when Oakland has a winning streak of a record-breaking 20 wins in a row. The film was nominated for 6 Academy Awards including Best Actor and Best Picture in 2012.

I thought it was a very interesting story-line and I enjoy the sport of baseball. I don't remember any of these events in 2001 or 2002. I guess because I was in college at WVU at the time. It had some good sport scenes and some comedic relief. IMDB gave it a 7.7 out of 10 and and I agree with that rating.

What did you do today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions

1. To get a job I will be able to apply my expertise and grow within the company. 2. To learn as much as possible in my classes at DU and earn A+s. 3. To workout and push myself a little harder. 4. To be a better friend and family member. 5. Be more positive and spiritual. 6. To live each day to its fullest!

111th New Thing - Took a Zyrtec

If you recall, I went to the dermatologist to get a skin screening for the 1st time back in December. When I was there, the doctor did a biopsy of 1 of the moles on my back (which came back as normal, by the way). The area was healing pretty well until about 2 weeks ago. The area around the wound started getting bigger instead of smaller and oozing. Therefore, I went back to my doctor to check it out. She said I was having an allergic reaction to something, probably the Neosporin . She gave me some new ointment, Vanos , and said I should take Zyrtec until the area starts to get better. Vanos (fluocinonide) Cream is indicated for the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid responsive dermatoses in patients. Best results are seen if used twice per day. Zyrtec (cetirizine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. Zyrtec can be u

Eating My Way Thru NE Day 2 - MA

Massachusetts  Atlantic Cod & Onion Rings from Liam's at Nauset Beach  (239 Beach Rd, Orleans MA 02653) - also worth the wait to eat a basket right on the beach Clam Chowder from  Captain Parker’s Pub (668 Rt 28, West Yarmouth MA 02673) - best chowdah evah, so creamy and fresh Coffee Coolatta (Oreo) from the 1st Dunkin' Donuts (543 Southern Artery, Quincy MA 02169) - where it all began, Oreo was a great sweet pick-me-up on the drive Crab Roll from Kelly’s Roast Beef  (35 Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford MA) - delicious, all the rolls looked great but we went with crab since we already had clam that day Necco  Sky Bar  from a convenience store - this was just ok, I've had way better chocolate bars and candy (I have Swiss ties), peanut and fudge were probably the better 2 of the 4