Skip to main content

338th New Thing - Ran a Marathon

I didn't have time to post the last night, therefore I'm posting this late as this occurred yesterday (Sat 9/22/12).
The day finally came. After about 18 weeks of training, I ran the full marathon in the Sports Authority Denver Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series yesterday morning starting and ending in Civic Center Park downtown Denver. The Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series is a collection of road running events owned and operated by Competitor Group Inc. The series is known for lining race routes with live bands, cheerleaders and themed water stations. There are 29 events in the Rock 'n' Roll Series.
I woke up at 5:45am and ate a blueberry pancake, some almonds, some raisins, and a Clif Crunch Granola Bar (white chocolate macadamia flavor). The marathon began at 7:15am in corrals. I started in corral 5 at about 7:25am. I also took 2 Jelly Belly Sport Beans (berry flavor) to give my body a boost of energy. It was chilly in the morning, about 55F but quickly warmed up. My 1st 8 miles felt fine. Then my knees started hurting, left knee more than right. I pushed through it. Along the course there was Gatorade, water, and GU shots. I also ate a few more sport beans. My half marathon time was pretty good at 2:06:08 but my pace dropped after 13 miles because of the soreness and tiredness. Mile 25 had  a 2 block hill that was pretty challenging. My friend found me and ran the last 2 miles with me across the finish line. My final time was 4:34:06. I'm glad I finished the 26.2 mile run jogging and not crawling to receive my medal. I loaded up with food and drink after I was done. Here is an article about the race and a link to the searchable results.
What did you do today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

132nd New Thing - Played with Talking Tom Cat

I was searching through apps on my Droid Razr and came about Outfit7's Talking Tom Cat . This app is described as a cat that responds to your touch and repeats everything you say in a funny voice. I wanted to see what it was all about so I downloaded the app to my Razr to check it out. You can Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice, pet his body or head to make him purr, poke his head, belly or feet, grab his tail, pour a glass of milk for him to drink, and forget about him and he will yawn or sneeze. I find Tom only slightly enjoyable. What did you do today?

Eating My Way Thru NOLA - Day 3

NOLA  - October 2018 PJ's Coffee  (5432 Magazine St, New Orleans LA 70115) - Goal was The King Cake Protein Velvet Ice but apparently that was only seasonal around Mardi Gras. So I got a PJ's Original Cold Brew Iced Coffee instead. A chain but good stuff. Royal House (441 Royal St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Crawfish Benedict with a side of grits was very tasty. Parran’s Po-Boys & Restaurant (3939 Veterans Blvd, Metairie LA 70002) - Seafood Trifecta (1/3 fried shrimp sandwich, 1/3 fried oyster sandwich, 1/3 fried catfish sandwich *best*) dressed (mayo, lettuce, tomato). Chilly's Snoballs (3940 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie LA 70006) - Sampled a few and then ordered 8oz Douberge and 8oz Wedding Cake from the drive-thru. Toups Meatery (845 N Carrollton Ave, New Orleans LA 70119) - Boudin Balls to go Mother's Restaurant (401 Poydras St, New Orleans LA 70130) - Ham, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice Other snacks ...

144th New Thing - Ate a LQ Belgian Waffle

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites  the past 2 nights since my brother and sister-in-law were visiting Colorado to ski. LQ's serve free Bright Side Breakfast daily as an amenity to all guests. The Bright Side Breakfast includes: waffles, hot and cold cereal, bread/bagels/muffins/pastries, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and all-you-can-drink coffee/juice/milk. This morning, I made-my-own LQ Belgian Waffle. They make the batter and you make the waffle on their iron. It cooked evenly and turned out fluffy and tender. I wonder what mix they use for the batter (my 1st internet search suggested that they buy their waffle mix from Sysco , my 2nd internet image search found out it is Carbon's Golden Malted Original Pancake & Waffle Flour). I ate 1/2 of my waffle with syrup and fruit and the other half with PB&J. It was a good breakfast to have before skiing, again! What did you do today?